• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Chris Dittmeier
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:51:08 PM(UTC)
Chris Dittmeier

Not related to a BVC site, but I was having a discussion with someone who would input a wrong state when buying online to make that cart (don't know which one) not charge sales tax, but he would input the correct zip code so the item got shipped correctly. Typically the label has the wrong state crossed out and the correct one added by the time he gets the package.

In BVC2004, the sales tax is charged by zip code, so no issue there. But in BVC5 you select the county and there is nothing to prevent the wrong county from being selected as it isn't checked against the zip code. Obviously, for manually processed and charged orders, the merchant can adjust the sales tax value if needed. Suggestion to add code that could prevent this by cross checking the zip code with the county. Nightmare of a database to create. Is there a way to use the USPS lookup tools to validate the address? Just throwing out thoughts...
Chris
Sirius Programming

www.siriusprogramming.com
Andy Miller
#2 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2008 2:15:12 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
USPS is adament that their zip code and address verification services only be used to create USPS shipments.

There are other address verification services including Dial-A-Zip (http://www.dial-a-zip.com/).

Sometimes I am prompted to pick the county I live in when I checkout of online stores (my zip code straddles 2 counties). But I think it is the payment processor that is checking. I use Authorize.Net which does not ask for the county. I wonder if there are other processors that do.
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
matthewtlh
#3 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2008 4:04:26 PM(UTC)
matthewtlh

I had talked to the BV guys about a sales tax solution and they told me about an Avalara integration possibility.

I ended up asking for the county of Florida ship-to addresses, which doesn't cost me anything. there's no way to force a selection in BV without extra programming so I set the default ("select county") to the highest tax rate.

Seems to work OK for me.

Feel free to put something in the cart and go to the checkout to see.
::matthew

ARCmotiv.com