• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
birdsafe
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2007 11:32:17 AM(UTC)
birdsafe

I've wrestled with taking the customer to the Shopping Cart on each item added -- especially with 3.1 large carts causing longer page load times -- BUT the message "Item has been added to your cart" is too obscure -- I even missed it when fooling around with it, let alone a customer not knowing what to look for.

It would be nice if a pop-up -- and I know blockers are an issue here, but I think a javascript popup might be immune to blockers -- or a BIG RED BOX around the cart contents or something that brings attention that "XX Has been added to your cart, click here to checkout"
Cliff
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:18:46 AM(UTC)
Cliff

Javascript pop-ups aren't immune to blockers, and pop-ups are generally a really bad idea for notifications (and most everything else, for that matter).

I'd recommend making the message more noticeable using CSS, and include a link to the cart in the text. Additionally, you could add some functionality to the mini-cart using a CSS class and some javascript to make it obvious that the cart contents have changed, since the mini-cart is already tied in to Anthem.
birdsafe
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:21:04 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

Unfortunately tried that idea with our previous cart and without a pop-up customers just plain missed that anything was added to the cart. We had a JS popup there and it worked fine. we also had an addon that showed the list of cart contents (users could opt to close that and show only the number of items). Unless you made it 72-point red text I think customers would miss it
Kman
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:33:43 AM(UTC)
Kman

Joe, you might try using the 'Item has been added..." with the addition of an image (banana) that makes it clear to the customer an item has been added or something has been changed on the site. From there they can go to the cart page if they wish. This may help out with the slow cart display in some cases. We use this method here with good results, never an issue or question or what is happing on the site.
http://www.80stees.com/products...Logo-G-I-Joe-T-shirt.asp
Regards,
Kim(Kman) Rossey
www.toocoolwebs.com
BVSoftware - MerchantTribe Programming/Design, Database Programming and Business Applications
[email protected]
Andy Miller
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:06:56 PM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
80's Tees uses a postback...the whole page flickers when something is added to the cart. BVC5 uses a callback...only a few parts of the page are redrawn. Is a partial update is too subtle? Have we been trained to expect the flicker?
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
Cliff
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:41:57 AM(UTC)
Cliff

Originally Posted by: "birdsafe" Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately tried that idea with our previous cart and without a pop-up customers just plain missed that anything was added to the cart. We had a JS popup there and it worked fine. we also had an addon that showed the list of cart contents (users could opt to close that and show only the number of items). Unless you made it 72-point red text I think customers would miss it

Heh, don't do that, red text generally means "error".

Popups can also get lost behind the browser, on top of every other horrid usability issue about them.

It's all about balancing the design of the site with the design of notifications. If a site is too busy/cluttered, things are obviously going to more easily get lost, but there are still ways to get static elements noticed. For example, color, spacing, and an icon:

It would be better if we could add a link to the cart in that, but it throws an error when you try to do so in the admin, so if I were to actually use this in a live store I'd probably need to have the code customized to allow links.

Some dynamic ideas would be to use a js library to do things like flash the mini-cart when something has been added, or present the notification in a modal box along with 'keep shopping' and 'close' links. Any of these would get much better results than using a pop-up window or alert dialog.
Cliff attached the following image(s):
addedtocartalert.png (17kb) downloaded 343 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
MitchA
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:15:19 AM(UTC)
MitchA

Cliff is right on the money. This is a very gentle way to show a result in a color that isn't otherwise used on the page, but not red.

I prefer to take my shoppers to the cart for two reasons: My shoppers rarely buy more than one item (furniture - nature of the beast) and most of my products have between 2 and 7 modifiers... I like to give the shopper an immediate view of the mods he's made, plus a button to the checkout page.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Cliff
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:12:02 PM(UTC)
Cliff

On the subject of color, bright greens or yellows are ideal for this type of message. You're looking to convey success. Never red or any color too prevalent in your store's design, and the cleaner the overall design, the better the user will be able to focus on the product and any static messages.
Kman
#9 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 12:56:26 AM(UTC)
Kman

Never say never, actually works quite well.
Regards,
Kim(Kman) Rossey
www.toocoolwebs.com
BVSoftware - MerchantTribe Programming/Design, Database Programming and Business Applications
[email protected]
birdsafe
#10 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 12:07:17 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

The problem with the above solution (Cliff's added text) is unless the browser redirects the customer back to that section of the page -- and even if it does -- most customers will still not miss it. If the page postsback to the top of the page and your image and description force that line "below the fold", then it is not seen. Perhaps some text below the "running cart" in the header area that says item has been added might work. I still would prefer a pop-up.
Matt@9BallDesign
#11 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 12:52:23 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

I feel your dilemma Joe. I recall doing some shopping at Banana Republic and as I added a product, the running cart clearly animated (by expanding) that I added the product. It included a tiny thumbnail, size, color and price and I could choose to minimize the cart.

There are so many different methods of an add to cart process out there that it's tough to train a user. The big dogs tend to all do it differently because I think they're throwing the look what we can do slap at each other.

I turn to Jakob Nielsen on his ecommerce studies when he states simply "When customers put an item in their shopping carts, they need to see that something has happened"

Truly groundbreaking...LOL...

Of the sites studied, some sent the user to the cart page, some animated clearly without sending to the cart page.

One site had a running cart located at the bottom of the page which built itself as the user added products. Nielsen mentions that no users had trouble with this.

I can't put all of my wieght on Nielsen as the book is slowly outdating itself as much has changed since the study however the concept stays the same. Users need to see that something has happened.

I like Kman's approach. It puts that action right in the middle of the screen, draws the user eye and is glaringly different than the rest of the site. If I had any say on the display, I'd make the font larger and maybe consider a different color for checkout button (as it currently matches the add to cart button design).

I like Cliff's approach and would only move that notice to the exact same spot that Kman placed his.

Back to my experience at Banana Republic. I didn't like it because it was so small. Useful in theory, but had to squint to see how to minimize the box. Confusion causes dropped carts, we all know this.

In my developments, I prefer sending the user to the shopping cart page. With the advent of the Upsell & Cross Sell features, I am able to pick and choose the correct products to display during the upsell process. And the ability to choose not to do this.

More importantly, in my opinion, if a user wants to buy one product; Keep It Simple! Add to Cart, Click Checkout, Swipe the Card. Interrupting this process is going to increase confusion.

If you're still reading, I'm just going off on a tangent and trying to sound like a seasoned professional....Anybody catch the LSU Ohio State game?
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative & Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
MitchA
#12 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 2:52:58 PM(UTC)
MitchA

No, missed it.
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Matt@9BallDesign
#13 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 3:59:51 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

:) solid game... wish penn state was in it but beggars can't be choosers...
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative & Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
Cliff
#14 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 4:40:16 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Originally Posted by: "Kim (Kman)" Go to Quoted Post
Never say never, actually works quite well.

I only say it based on red being the expected color when there is a problem, like validation errors, especially after a customer clicks something. I think there are scenarios where you could argue that red text could be ideal for a notice that isn't an error, but red in any sort of block, like a background color or icon, would make the case for never, probably.

Never say never unless it's "never take Kman's lunch" or "never actually meet Kman at the flagpole". It's just gonna end badly.
Cliff
#15 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 4:54:25 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Regarding positioning, since I only today noticed Kman's link, a central location works great, especially if it's a postback. If it's an ajax thing that happens without a refresh and/or pretty quickly, then as close as possible to where the customer clicked is ideal, since that is where they are currently focused. A central location in that case would be best presented in a modal box, or something like it.

On top of that, though, something should happen to the one thing on the page that is going to change every time that button is clicked. The mini cart should visibly show that something has happened when there is no reload/redirect, beyond just a changing of the numbers.

If the page postsback to the top of the page and your image and description force that line "below the fold", then it is not seen.

The example in my image is strait out of the local BVC5 development version of a store with a non-standard layout and is only seen when there is an ajax respose, no page postback. The live store doesn't use this feature.
Kman
#16 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 11:44:20 PM(UTC)
Kman

Originally Posted by: "Cliff" Go to Quoted Post

I only say it based on red being the expected color when there is a problem ...

I hear you...

Well hopefully from all of this everyone can figure out exactly what is best for their website.
Good thing about all this stuff is there are 101 ways to do it. Getting to what works best for you is the fun part.
Regards,
Kim(Kman) Rossey
www.toocoolwebs.com
[email protected]
Kman
#17 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2008 11:53:20 PM(UTC)
Kman

I still would prefer a pop-up.

What about a div injected into the page placed where a user cannot miss it? Works like a pop-up without the blocker issue.
I use this method on that link I posted. If you add the item to the cart and then continue checkout the injected div for the promo item cannot be missed and is free of blocker issues. I believe you could use a similar method for your add to cart notification. If you want to see it use this link http://www.80stees.com/products...o-t-shirt-distressed.asp add to cart then select checkout now.
Regards,
Kim(Kman) Rossey
www.toocoolwebs.com
[email protected]
Cliff
#18 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:42:30 AM(UTC)
Cliff

What about a div injected into the page placed where a user cannot miss it? Works like a pop-up without the blocker issue.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant by Modal Box. As long as it's separated enough from the design of the site - shadows/borders/grayed-out-background helps - it's a great method. Much like what happens when you click the More Images button on http://www.passengersonly.com/catalog/tumi-lxt-travel-kit.

Getting to what works best for you is the fun part.

Absofreakinloutly. :)
bbcweb
#19 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2008 10:47:02 AM(UTC)
bbcweb

What are your thoughts about using an alert box if a client really wants a pop-up type notification? Is it too simple?
BetterBuilt.net professional web design and development. call 1-877-325-1109 x7
Cliff
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2008 4:26:23 AM(UTC)
Cliff

As in a javascript alert? I think it'd be a worse idea than a standard pop-up window, from a usability standpoint. It's and error and/or confirmation thing that even then is annoying at best.

I personally think it wisest to stick to the design patterns and keep it in the main window. It's the same with web ads; if it looks like it's part of the site, it's more likely to be noticed in a positive way and not ignored.
2 Pages12>