• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Avecom
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:21:47 PM(UTC)
Avecom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">We've had a few inquiries to create SmartURL for BVC5.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"> <o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Since BVC5 has URL rewriting capabilities we had no plans to create BVC5 version, but there are users who sees the benefit of having SmartURL for BVC5. <o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"> <o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">I would like to ask for your opinion, if you think there is a need for SmartURL for BVC5.<o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Thank you in advance for all replies.<o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Aram Avetissian<o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Avecom LTD<o:p></o:p>
bigheadrob
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:26:20 PM(UTC)
bigheadrob

If you're looking for a show of hands.....I'd buy a copy if it were available for BV5.
[email protected]
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:10:55 PM(UTC)
info@cpapsupplyusa.com

Me too.
M. Hall
CPAP Supply USA

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com
[email protected]
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:12:03 PM(UTC)
info@cpapsupplyusa.com

Actually, 3 copies for me.
M. Hall
CPAP Supply USA

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com
kastway
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:25:31 PM(UTC)
kastway

I too would like a copy! Just moved from BV4 and very concerned I cannot use SmartURL. Google likes .html not .aspx so please create it for BV5.
Military Simulation at its best!
www.kastwayairsoft.com
Marcus
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:28:18 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Kastaway,

According to Matt Cutts of Google there is absolutely NO difference bettwen .aspx and .html pages to Google. The only things you need to worry about is if you have pages with 5+ query string parameters.
scott.mech
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:29:55 PM(UTC)
scott.mech

@KastwayAirsoft - you face a bigger issue when you suddenly change all of your URLs. There are ways to plan around this and handle these changes gracefully.

Beyond this, I am uncertain why people aren't just customizing BV5 to use the same URL syntax as they had before. With our data feed services, we generate URLs based on whatever URL rewriter the merchant has in place.

Scott Mech
[email protected]
DeanMachine
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:26:57 PM(UTC)
DeanMachine

Scott,

How is this customizing done? I've looked for this in the backend and can't find it. Does this have to be done in the code??

-J
[url=http://www.internetcityusa.com][/url] Jason
kastway
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:32:17 PM(UTC)
kastway

I find all this information very informative but do not understand what options I have other than the SMART URL software. To give you a better idea of things, about a year ago we bought the Smart URL program in an effort to change my pages to .html since I was advised Google likes .html more than .aspx....

Since that time I have been fortunate to be ranked #1 in several categories on google without spending a dime. Once the transition was made to BV5 it presented a lot of issues we saw right away and I do not poccess the knowledge to correct many of them. As my hosting co. and I worked through the issues (along with Marcus thank you) It dawned on me how now having Smart URL may impact my traffic.

Again, I am told if I do nothing at this point it will likely bump me from #1 rankings and it is very concerning. If you think I do not need SmartURL to keep the existing ranks then how. Because the old site which google points to is hidden with the word "old" in the URL keeping it seperate. Once I finish up loose ends on my BV4 site it will likely be removed and therefore is likely where the problem is. Again I speak with little knowledge of my options other than what my provider has given me.

Any advice is greatly welcomed.

Thanks.
www.kastwayairsoft.com
[email protected]
#10 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2008 12:06:02 AM(UTC)
bobn@laurastamm.net

I'm not sure on this but here is something else you can ponder.

I heard that Google (and probably some of the other SE's as well) may be changing the way they rank their searches.

You could loose your #1 ranking for no real reason and blame it on several none related but coincidental events.

Bob Noble
Cliff
#11 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2008 12:38:59 AM(UTC)
Cliff

Kastaway, your host should be able to set up ISAPI rewrites for you, so you could specify .html in your custom URLs in the BVC5 admin, or even go completely extensionless if you wanted.
kastway
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:49:05 AM(UTC)
kastway

I appreciate the feedback. The SMARTURL was a simple install and would fix all my problems. I will buy it if it becomes available. Having to rewrite ISAPI is costly and time consuming.
www.kastwayairsoft.com
Cliff
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:07:16 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Originally Posted by: "KastwayAirsoft" Go to Quoted Post
Having to rewrite ISAPI is costly and time consuming.

Not necessarily if you're just changing the extension. You can set IIS to use whatever extension you like (wildcard extension maps), so that in your products and categories you can specify the URLs without breaking anything.

For example, this category (http://www.passengersonly.com/luggage/carry-on) has no extension at all, and is set that way in the BV admin. IIS allows it to happen and automatically points it in the right direction.
HPro
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:05:12 PM(UTC)
HPro

There is no ranking difference between html and aspx unless you have long query strings on the aspx page which you won't if you use the custom url feature in BV. The only minor issue we need a fix for is category pages having duplicate meta tags which google will flag in your tools. We're not yet able to tell for sure but it looks like it blackflags products on the pages it perceives are duplicates.

The Smarter software packages are very good. We're waiting on a fix for duplicate ALT tags on all images which has hurt SEO since we implemented and will report once we have the fix in place.
scott.mech
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:30:42 AM(UTC)
scott.mech

@Cliff: I just want to point out to all readers that not all hosts will allow IIS extension mapping. IIS7 supports extensionless rewriting without having to use products like ISAPI_Rewrite.

@DeanMachine/Jason: correct, this involves customizing the code.

@Bob: Google's algorithms [as well as other SE] are constantly changing. The age and history of a landing page can and will impact its SERP, so republishing all of your content with new URLs is a significant negative.

@HPro: there is no difference between html, aspx, or any other file extension. You can have query string parameters on any request. i.e. http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=8184984

@KastwayAirsoft: changing your URL structure without proper strategy in place can result in lost traffic and generally will have negative impacts in regards to SEO.
You have several options besides smarturl. All you are doing is rewriting URLs. This can be done by a variety of methods in a variety of places. Feel free to contact me directly for more information.

Scott Mech
[email protected]
[email protected]
#16 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 2:00:37 PM(UTC)
dean@greenleafdollhouses.com

I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade to BV5, but I'm currently using SmarterURL and concerned about losing hard earned inbound links and search engine positioning. Right now, all my pages have HTML extensions. If I use ISAPI_Rewrite to just change the extensions from ASPX to HTML, won't the internal links generated by BV5 still be pointing at aspx pages? I guess it would make more sense to go the other route and forward the old HTML addresses to the new ASPX pages with a permanent redirect. Still, the inbound links would be pointing at the old addresses and though they would work, I believe for SEO purposes, it would be better to have them pointing at the actual pages. For this reason, I think it would be great if there was a new version of SmarterURL available. I'm sure there are others in the same predicament that would appreciate it as well. Please let us know if you plan to move forward with this product and if so, a projected release date.

Thanks!

Dean