• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

jhonrath
#1 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2006 4:17:37 PM(UTC)
jhonrath

I have two questions, sort of related.

1. Is it possible to use BVCommerce simply to collect info for custom forms. In other words, there is not 'product' just registration for an event with many text questions being asked.

For instance, some artist may pay a 35 dollar application fee to be on stage as part of some event. But, there are around 30 questions to ask up front, such as 'Explain the type of lighting you need', etc. Some are text based questions, some are yes no, and some are multiple choice. But, this will be a data / payment collection app, rather than a hard goods store. Has anyone done/seen that. Currently this customer uses RegOnline for this.

2. Is it possible to use the client facing logic in a CMS. In other words, I use Sitefinity alot. And, it accepts standard .net user controls. So, if I want say''''''show me all of the 'items' in this category, and I want to drop that logic into a user control on my CMS, is that possible. The main reason for this is I do not want customers bouncing from my site to the eCommerce system and back again. I would like to keep alot of the front end logic in the site.

Thanks much,

JH
jhonrath
#2 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2006 4:33:30 PM(UTC)
jhonrath

Also one more thing to add. Some of the forms require several payments. In other words, there may be a 35 dollar payment from an artist just to apply, but if they are 'approved' to be in a show.........then in teh backend we need to set them up for another payment for the lighting, etc. Maybe that's the new workflow???

Anyway, i'm trying to decide if I should use BVC5 as my starting point, or simply roll my own cart because my requirements are too 'custom'

Thanks!
Cliff
#3 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2006 4:56:36 PM(UTC)
Cliff

What you're talking about isn't very common in general ecommerce, so you won't be able to effectively do it out-of-the-box without modifying BVC5 to some extent. But because BVC5 is so very extensible, it would be a relative piece of cake for a developer familiar with the system. Rolling your own cart to those specs would be much easier if you were to start with BVC5 and build upon it. There are tons of functionality in BVC5 that you can tap into, so it would be kind of ridiculous to start from scratch.

BVC5 was built to be built upon. With the built-in API, the available source code, plugin and modules architecture, workflow features, payment processors, shipping functionality, etc., there are no requirements that I can conceive of that would be too 'custom' for it. Just need a developer.
jhonrath
#4 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2006 5:02:19 PM(UTC)
jhonrath

Thanks alot, Cliff.
I am a developer, and have not actually tapped into BVC5 yet, and don't have access to the source without purchasing! I do however manage a big eComm site that was built from scratch to integrate with a warehousing system, and I manage a couple BVC4 stores.

I guess i'm looking for answers since I have not seen the source, and the BVC4 architecture was great, but rigid as far as some things go, such as custom content. I did see this version uses Free text box, and I am a partner / fan of www.telerik.com and i'm assuming I can plug in r.a.d. editor.

Actually, another great plug for BVC4. I recently implemented a new site www.ebnservices.com and with ZERO SEO work (I don't know SEO) we are actually #4 for 'Pinsetter parts' in google when before with the old cart we were on PAGE 4. And, that is the most widely used search term in his industry.

:)

Any more help on my questions would be great, from someone that understands my specs, and has seen the code...... Thanks guys!!! and thanks for the reply Cliff.

Also, a large part of the site is Content, Rather than eComm. So, i'm deciding (i'm sure like many others) should I a) use www.sitefinity.com and roll my own CART into it....or, use BVC and it's Content Management / Themes system to do the whole thing.

The site i'm working on is www.boulderfringe.com and as you can see, their eCommerce is not really eComm, and very VERY minimal. But the site itself is built upon Master Pages / Themes, CSS, etc (I did the development and template work, but the eComm is paypal copy / paste) they want an eComm solution for next year, but only want one site, not two for the end user.

THANKS!