• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
jetheredge
#21 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 10:15:44 AM(UTC)
jetheredge

Hey paul, you probably want to go into the admin>options>inventory and check the disable inventory button. Also, go to admin>options>workflows and go to the Process New Order workflow and remove the "Run Payment Complete Workflow If Paid" workflow item.

The first issue is most likely an inventory issues, but the second issue is a bug which we will address as soon as possible.
Justin Etheredge
Senior Software Engineer
BVSoftware
paul305
#22 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 10:53:28 AM(UTC)
paul305

Thanks Justin,

Everything is working fine in the demo now including the second issue.
wurdz
#23 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 12:57:02 AM(UTC)
wurdz

FYI to BV:

Check your store's code: http://www.bvsoftware.com/store

It looks bad in IE7.

See attachment for a screenshot.

Plus, where's the demo guys?
wurdz attached the following image(s):
ie7.jpg (76kb) downloaded 179 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.

<SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">[color=#808080><SPAN]^[/color]

<SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">(wûrdz)<SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">
Matt@9BallDesign
#24 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 8:43:01 AM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Isn't IE7 still in Beta or RC1?
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative &amp; Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------
wurdz
#25 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 12:15:41 PM(UTC)
wurdz

Yes, but there are many using it. Plus, every web developer should at least install it to check their sites out. REASON: Microsoft is going to automatically install IE7 through "Automatic Updates" to every computer in the world that is accepting Automatic Updates.

You don't want your site looking bad to the millions of people who don't understand why your site looks bad ... do you?

<SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">(wûrdz)<SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">
Matt@9BallDesign
#26 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 1:24:12 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Wurdz, I don't disagree with you at all. I have it installed here. However, I design a site using solid CSS and adhere to many W3C standards. Every site that looks good cross browsers, gets the same funk in IE7.

So is Firefox, Safari, etc... behind the times and IE7 is more strict in adhering to standards? If I fix the site to look solid in IE7, it tends to breaks in FF and I lose XHTML compliancy and/or CSS compliancy.

So who do I design for? A browser that is used all over the place, or an RC1 candidate that is still working out the bugs?
Matt Martell

wurdz
#27 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:09:13 PM(UTC)
wurdz

Hmmm... I've been able to make my sites look good for all. (NOT implying anything at all with that statement.)

Are you using strict or transitional?

wurdz
#28 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:12:26 PM(UTC)
wurdz

Dude, I just went to your site and checked out some of the work that you've done. Rock on brother. Look great. You are talented.

Here's my point. They look good in IE7, so why doesn't BV?

I'm just trying to help out and point out a blatant coding error which makes them not look as good to visitors to their site.

wurdz
#29 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:13:07 PM(UTC)
wurdz

Maybe they should hire you.

Cliff
#30 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:56:05 PM(UTC)
Cliff

The bundled BVC5 themes use the XHTML Transitional doctype, which is probably the safest way to go with XHTML in .Net 2.0.

What you are seeing is a float-clearing issue. Just add clear:both; to the #footer in the "Print Book" stylesheet, and that should take care of it for IE7. Shouldn't have to do that in this particular layout; I don't quite trust that IE7 is ready for serious testing yet.

I imagine taking IE7 RC1 too seriously at this point could end up creating a lot of extra work that might need to be undone for those who are doing some serious CSS-based work, which is why many web-based services are not supporting it yet. It's good to keep an eye on it, and make minor modifications to support it where needed, but I would suggest that you still work primarily in something like Firefox, testing in the others along the way to save some potential headache.
wurdz
#31 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 5:44:53 PM(UTC)
wurdz

I disagree. We should take it seriously since ... soon ... 80% of Internet users will be using it.

I'm not trying to bloat this issue and turn it into a Firefox vs. IE discussion (Firefox is over-rated by the way). The browser war has benefits for each developing company. Benefit to help IE make a better product. Benefit to FF to spread their gospel. Benefit to Opera to inspire them to create the awesome (more-secure-than-Firefox) browser.

I believe we should take it seriously and make our sites conform to all the browsers and if that means sacrificing a little Form over Function (until the browser's catch up to what designers want to create), then sacrifice.

And ... for professional software developement companies creating software running on MICROSOFT solutions *ASP.NET 2.0*, they had better look good to be taken seriously.

Noah
#32 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 7:09:56 PM(UTC)
Noah

This is kind of funny. Matt and Cliff are two of the most anal standards/compatibility junkies we have ever worked with.

Rest assured that when a new browser of any significance hits the market their work will be compatible.

Not sure how many years you have been at this but MS has a way of throwing in the mickeys before final cut. I think Matt and Cliffs points are that you can't spend all day looking and testing your product against a "Beta" product. That's spells sure failure and it isn't just with browsers, it's the same for OS's, databases, .NET VB etc. It's nice to work in and be ready for new technologies and I think most good developers do but you can't develop product with a reliance on Betaware. Even Microsoft will tell you that.

Anyway, good heads up, I'm sure BV will be glad you pointed it out.
Noah
wurdz
#33 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 7:42:55 PM(UTC)
wurdz

It's all good. Good discussion. The overall driving factor of my post is this:

Hey, it looks funny in IE7.

That's it. Just being nice.

wurdz
#34 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 7:44:00 PM(UTC)
wurdz

BTW, where's the demo? :)

Cliff
#35 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 10:02:52 PM(UTC)
Cliff

Originally Posted by: "wurdz" Go to Quoted Post
I disagree. We should take it seriously since ... soon ... 80% of Internet users will be using it.

I don't think I phrased my post quite like I intended (jet lagged a bit). :) Noah is spot on in my intentions.

My response was mostly in agreement, and in general, that it is very important to test on IE7, but not to take it too far yet. What we see in the current testing version and the final product could be very different, so don't kill yourself trying to gain compatibility. It should be easy for the most part to get the same result on all modern browsers, such as in the BV Store floating solution, but if there is something you just can't get right, it's usually best to hold off on it until final release - or investigate whether you can confirm a bug.

Firefox is usually the preferred browser on Windows for standards compatibility testing, in part due to the great add-ons; they all have their quirks and issues (Opera has some odd ones) and should all be used throughout the design implementation phase.
Matt@9BallDesign
#36 Posted : Sunday, September 24, 2006 12:30:34 AM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

Hey Wurdz, thanks for the compliment! We're all on the same page :)
Matt Martell

wurdz
#37 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:29:05 AM(UTC)
wurdz

All in good humor, I came across this article from Slashdot and have decided to post it - well knowing that this is so off topic it's pathetic :)

"A new Symantec study on browser vulnerabilities covering the first half of 2006 has some surprising conclusions. It turns out that Firefox leads the pack with 47 vulnerabilities, compared to 38 for Internet Explorer. From Ars Technica's coverage: 'In addition to leading the pack in sheer number of vulnerabilities, Firefox also showed the greatest increase in number, as the popular open-source browser had only logged 17 during the previous reporting period. IE saw an increase of just over 50 percent, from 25; Safari doubled its previous six; and Opera was the only one of the four browsers monitored that actually saw a decrease in vulnerabilities, from nine to seven.' Firefox still leads the pack when it comes to patching though, with only a one-day window of vulnerability." (one-day vulnerability from the moment they "discover" it, that is. -jc)

Where's the demo? :) Broken record, eh?

Andy Miller
#38 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:46:50 AM(UTC)
Andy Miller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There is no permanent online demo store (yet...perhaps ever), but you can create your own...

http://www.bvsoftware.com/store/Products/BV-Commerce-5-Trial__BVC5T.aspx
Andy Miller
Structured Solutions

Shipper 3 - High Velocity Shipment Processing
Cliff
#39 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:32:13 AM(UTC)
Cliff

One thing that gets me about Firefox is the memory issue. It can get really frustrating, especially if you have a bunch of tabs running over a time with a couple ajaxy sites like Netvibes and Gmail. Sometimes I look at the processes and Firefox is burning up 300 megs, which is just insane.

I'm really hoping that IE7 will work on the very basic remaining compliance issues - such as floats and :after - for the official release. It's amazing to me that they have all of the resources in the world, and still fall far behind in the most basic CSS rules, regarding layout of all things. It really sucks to run into these IE7 bugs on a regular basis and wonder if you'll have to un-hack your hack when the browser is available to the mass public.
bbcweb
#40 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:56:19 PM(UTC)
bbcweb

You may not have to un-hack it, just re-hack it with a different ie7 hack that works with the ie6 hack etc :)
BetterBuilt.net professional web design and development. call 1-877-325-1109 x7
3 Pages<123>