• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

lcasey
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:15:32 PM(UTC)
lcasey

Aaron,

It's a simple, typical feature - a site setting to allow an alphanumeric prefix for order numbers. Merchants who have several stores and various sales outlets find it very helpful.

Thanks for considering it,
Linette
Aaron
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:55:55 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Where would you use the prefix? It seems like this would only be helpful outside of BVC (e.g. order notification emails, order exports into third-party systems, etc).
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
Toll-free 888-665-8637 - Int'l +1 717-220-0012
lcasey
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:54:28 AM(UTC)
lcasey

Yes - that's it. It filters into a payment gateway, which is used for multiple stores; it filters thru to the customer, etc. It's helpful in quickly identifying the origin of the order - whether it's for customer service or for merchant management.
Aaron
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:37:37 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

For emails you could prepend the [[Order.OrderNumber]] tag with your prefix. For external systems, such as those that might use the API, you could prepend the number before saving it into the system. In other words, the prefix could be done 'outside' the application. This wouldn't work for the payment gateway, though.
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
lcasey
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:46:58 PM(UTC)
lcasey

Merchants who this would help won't change order numbers or send emails to customers with order numbers that are different from those in the db. Just delete this request & post.
Aaron
#6 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 1:35:49 PM(UTC)
Aaron

United States

Originally Posted by: lcasey Go to Quoted Post
Merchants who this would help won't change order numbers or send emails to customers with order numbers that are different from those in the db.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you clarify? The purpose of the prefix is to identify the origin of the order (i.e. which store it came from). So in an outgoing email or third-party system, like the merchant's backend system, the order number would have the prefix. This would tell them which store the order came from. When they're in BVC, the prefix isn't necessary.

I'm not saying that we couldn't include the prefix as part of the order number; I'm just trying to determine whether it's necessary. If we did include it, I'm wondering if the prefix should be stored in the same field or a separate field.

Originally Posted by: lcasey Go to Quoted Post
Just delete this request & post.

?
Aaron Sherrick
BV Commerce
sternyy
#7 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 2:53:09 PM(UTC)
sternyy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think it would be a good feature to have. Just like we are planing... we want to have 2 stores, one public and one account based B2B. I see a problem arising with duplicate order numbers, so having a prefix set in the admin would help distinguish both stores (even though they are different admins). Adding the prefix to emails and other items could potentially confuse customer service, so I see a benefit of having it in the admin. That way its everywhere you look, admin, accounting, emails, payment gateway, etc.

Just my two cents ;)

Edited by user Friday, May 30, 2014 2:55:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

lcasey
#8 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 2:55:31 PM(UTC)
lcasey

Yes - what sternyy said.

The order number needs to be the same in BVC db and in emails - like it is now. I can't imagine that it would ever be useful to ever change that relationship, and I can imagine that it would complicate things.
Like I already said, having a prefix for BVC orders would help merchants who sell from various outlets (thru BVC, thru other ecommerce sites) including phone and in person, but not using BVC to place orders.
The origins of orders can quickly be identified based on the prefix - whether you are looking in a payment gateway db, helping a customer or fulfilling.
Once the order number (prefix + number) is assigned, it should never be changed; if someone decides to change the prefix, all previous orders retain their order number (with the original prefix).
Even small merchants who sell from just 2 sites and look at sales in Authorize.NET find it useful. I know this from working with merchants using other shopping carts.

I was requesting what I thought was a simple optional feature. If it's not hitting your radar, of little value for your product, or too complex to implement, it's OK to just veto the request and delete the post! No problem! No one needs the clutter!

Thanks!