• Toll-free  888-665-8637
  • International  +1 717-220-0012
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

birdsafe
#1 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 6:25:48 PM(UTC)
birdsafe

I was just musing this evening, remember the number of infomercials you see each night on how you can make millions from selling online -- and it must be true for them to sponsor so many commercials -- :lol:

So I was just wondering how many of you are sitting with your laptop on a beach in Cancun while the checks are just "rolling into your mailbox" -- certainly some of you are making all those bucks and only working 20 minutes a day! :tongue:
Marcus
#2 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 7:48:08 PM(UTC)
Marcus

Almost every store owner I've spoken too works 50+ hours a week to keep things going. Anyone just working 20 minutes a day?
MitchA
#3 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 8:29:02 PM(UTC)
MitchA

I work 20 minutes, take a 1 minute vacation to Joe's beach in Cancun and then work 20 more minutes. Repeat.

...... beats working for a living. Oh, wait... NUTS! This IS work!!!

<glad to have a job>
Optimists invent airplanes,
Pessimists buy parachutes.
Noah
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 12:12:10 PM(UTC)
Noah

This is a long story but in the end it all comes down to Chiefs and Indians.

If you run something alone, there are only so many hours in a day and you can only do so much. So except for the rare occasions (like having a patent a licensing deal or subscription base) an individual can only do so much.

I have seen a lot of startup's and a lot of mature businesses go "ecommerce" in the last 12 years and have been able to see in real-time what they have done and not done during their years of growth. AAGR an individual can get to a million in sales and if you can get 10% of it it is a good 100K job. For an individual to go beyond the mil in sales is an exception and usually based on the product, or their relationship in the supply chain. Keep in mind that this is a HARD working individual.

To go beyond this, you need a workforce to do the heavy lifting. It is in this step where most fail. They could do real well alone but could not handle the growth and expansion required to build the company. The main reason for this is the individual was really good at what they did (building or selling the widget), but not necessarily good at running a business.

I could actually write a book on what to do and not do when going through all this, it really is a cool process when it is done right, while at the same time being downright heartbreaking when it is done wrong.

Now down to the real answer Joe. I know 3 true-blue internet billionaires and at least 100 internet millionaires. NOT ONE of them are sitting on the beach. They work as hard or harder than the rest of us. I would venture to guess that none of them have seen the commercial.

I'm an internet thousandaire! - lol
Noah
john.power
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 1:14:19 AM(UTC)
john.power

I reckon most merchants are mining for a niche...aka a sustainable competitive advantage and dream of striking it rich, but in the last gold rush the real money was made selling picks, shovels, booze etc...draw your own conclusions.

Noah, occasionally I get stumped on acronyms (too old for netspeak etc, too tired after the festive season, cultural differences whatever) and resort to google...the 3rd link for AAGR had me somewhat distracted, something to do with young ladies and fast cars! Write the book and send me the Amazon link!

Happy New Year.
Matt@9BallDesign
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 12:23:20 PM(UTC)
Matt@9BallDesign

almost :)

AAGR = As A General Rule
Matt Martell

http://www.9balldesign.com - Web, Print, Graphic

http://www.martellhardware.com/ - Decorative &amp; Builder's Hardware

------------------------------------------------